+61 7 3001 2999

+61 7 3001 2999

Workplace Accidents

If you have been injured at work, you may be entitled to make a claim for compensation.

Bennett & Philp Lawyers represent workers injured in accidents involving ladders and scaffolding, roadworks, unsafe construction sites, forklifts, electric shock, industrial explosions, unsafe equipment, unsafe lifting practices, burns, slips and falls, toxic substances, and unsafe mining practices. 

Below for your general information are answers to some of the more commonly asked questions. Qld law restricts us from presenting certain information about personal injury compensation law. However, we are able to provide you with more details if you are making a genuine enquiry or are an existing client of Bennett & Philp Lawyers.  

If you want to investigate your rights regarding a workplace accident click the "Need to Know More"  box to the right or you can contact us for obligation-free advice regarding your particular circumstances using one of the to following methods that is most convenient to you:

Call Us today   Call us on (07) 3001 2999 or use our Toll Free number on the right
Use our Live Chat   Talk to our Live Chat operator using the Chat box below
Make an On-line Enquiry   Complete the on-line enquiry form to the right
Email us now   Contact or email any one of our specialist personal injury lawyers below.

Bennett & Philp Lawyers acts in personal injuries claims relating to workplace accidents on a no-win, no fee basis.

Commonly Asked Questions:
I was injured at work – what should I do?

Any injuries suffered at work should be reported to your employer as soon as possible, as time limits do apply.

The sooner a WorkCover claim is lodged, the better. A worker can lodge a claim up to 6 months after the date of injury. If, however, a claim is lodged after the 6 month period has expired, a claim can still be lodged if you are able to give WorkCover reasons for the delay in making your claim.

Contact us to find out whether you're eligible to make a claim for compensation. We can advise you with regard to your specific circumstances.

What will WorkCover pay for?

WorkCover may assist with payment of the following:

  • Weekly compensation for lost wages;
  • Medical, surgical and hospital expenses;
  • Rehabilitation expenses, and
  • Travelling expenses.

Call us to find out more about your potential entitlements.

Who is eligible to make a claim?

If you have been injured at work or because of your work, you may be eligible to claim benefits from WorkCover. Injuries can happen at work, travelling to and from work or while on a break at work.

Examples of injuries include physical injuries, psychiatric or psychological disorders, aggravation of a pre-existing condition, or death from an injury or disease.

Contact us to find out more about your entitlements.

What should I do if I receive a Notice of Assessment from WorkCover?

If permanent impairment is assessed, the Notice of Assessment will include an offer of lump sum compensation. It is extremely important that you seek legal advice immediately after you receive a Notice of Assessment from WorkCover.

You may lose your right to claim common law damages if you accept any offers of lump sum compensation made by WorkCover which accompany the Notice of Assessment.

Contact us to discuss your specific circumstances and to obtain legal advice.

Death claims

If a worker is killed in a workplace accident, his or her dependent spouse/defacto and children may have a claim for compensation. Limitation periods apply so we recommend that you discuss your situation with us sooner rather than later. You may miss out on important benefits or may miss out on your claim entirely if you do not take appropriate action.

Contact us today to find our whether you or a family member is eligible to make a claim.

How much will I get if I make a claim?

You can be assessed to receive damages for:

  • pain and suffering and permanent impairment;
  • lost earnings/income;
  • medical, hospital, rehabilitation and other costs;
  • loss of occupational superannuation benefits whilst you are off work, and
  • future loss of earnings/impairment of earning capacity caused by the injuries up to your anticipated retirement age.

Your damages are generally tax free.

Contact us today to find out more about your potential claim for damages.