+61 7 3001 2999

+61 7 3001 2999

Defective Products

Consumers are entitled to seek compensation for damages for
personal injury or other loss caused by a defective product. 

Claims may be made against the manufacturer or importer of the product, or in some cases, the retailer.

You should retain any documents you have regarding the purchase of the goods, including receipts, terms of warranty and instruction manuals. You should also (if possible) retain the defective item.

Qld law restricts us from presenting certain information about personal injury compensation law. However, we are able to provide you with more details if you are making a genuine enquiry or are an existing client of Bennett & Philp.

If you want to investigate your rights regarding an injury claim resulting from a defective product click the "Need to Know More" box to the right or you can contact us for personalised obligation-free advice regarding your particular circumstances using one of the to following methods that is most convenient to you:

Call Us today Call us on (07) 3001 2999 or use our Toll Free number on the right
Use our Live Chat Talk to our Live Chat operator using the Chat box below
Make an On-line Enquiry Complete the on-line enquiry form to the right
Email us now Contact or email any one of our specialist personal injury lawyers below.

Bennett & Philp Lawyers act in personal injuries claims resulting from defective products on a no-win, no fee basis.

Commonly Asked Questions:
Am I eligible to make a claim?

If you have incurred a personal injury or other loss which was caused by a defective product, you may be able to make a claim for compensation.

A claim can be brought for personal injury caused by faulty medical equipment and implants, goods, tools and appliances, mechanical failure, defective car parts or food poisoning.

Our lawyers can advise you in relation to a range of defective products from consumer goods, such as defective toys, to industrial equipment, such as farm machinery. Contact us today to obtain legal advice in relation to your particular circumstances.

What can I claim?

You may be entitled to receive damages for:

  • pain and suffering and permanent impairment;
  • lost earnings/income;
  • medical, hospital, rehabilitation and other costs;
  • loss of occupational superannuation benefits whilst you are off work, and
  • future loss of earnings/impairment of earning capacity caused by the injuries up to your anticipated retirement age.

Your damages are generally tax free.

Contact us to discuss your potential compensation.

What are my time limits?

The law relating to defective product claims is complex and strict time limits apply - it is important that you contact us immediately to obtain advice on your claim.